Thursday, May 13, 2010

Shadows and Dust


LeBron got two new tattoos before these playoffs. One on the right arm says, "What we do in life," while the one on the left arm completes the phrase with, "Echoes in eternity." Well, game five definitely will at least.

Since that quote is from Gladiator, here are a slew of other quotes from Gladiator that would also be fitting right now:

"You have a great name. You must kill your name before he kills you."
Yes, this is the question we have to ask following that loss: What does "LeBron" mean right now? Since his days at St. Vincent-St. Mary's, he has existed as potential personified; the name "LeBron" standing for the coming roundball epoch when he would raze the league then rebuild it in his image without letting any of the crumbs touch the ground. But a game like he played in game five is nowhere to be found in the scriptures.

Of course we're judging him harshly; that's what you do to supposed saviors. So no, this was not just another bad game. That cannot happen with this man. If he wants to fulfill the prophecy, he has to always be the best, always. And he needs to do this all the time, and never not do this. Additionally, he can never not be the best. He was way not the best in game five.

And if it happens in game six, the name "LeBron" may start to stand for something else.

"The frost, it sometimes makes the blade stick."
This Angry LeBron thing? I don't know if that's his jam. Seems like he just saw that Kobe does the angry face, so figured he should do the angry face. Nah. This is Lebron:



Or this:



"I may die here in this cell or in the arena tomorrow. What possible difference can I make?"
I know LeBron, it must be hard to have your impact pretty much negated by Mike Brown's choice of lineups. Because Mike Brown doesn't seem all that good at choosing the most effective lineups, does he? How about Delonte or Varejao or Hickson? But most importantly, Mike Brown needs to remember that the better team is the one who is supposed to impose their style and character on the game. But who knows who the better team is here.

"He sleeps so well because he is loved."
This is the dude who dressed like this after getting bounced from the playoffs last year:



Losing needs to start mattering to him if he wants whatever legendary basketball players are supposed to want.

"I don't pretend to be a man of the people. But I do try to be a man for the people."
I don't speak for each writer on this Website when I say that LeBron James will never be in my Fave Five (and, actually, I know I kind of am speaking for the other writers on this Website, but we all have our own reasons).

But: I love watching him when he asserts, I love that he can turn every muscle twitch into an event and, as a life-long fan of this semi-niche professional league, I love his importance. I love that he developed his own calling-card dunk (you know, his arm juts out perpendicular to his body, his legs just about cross and he freezes for like a minute before putting it through), because I love dunks. I love that he's the first true NBA icon that I've been able to watch from day one and truly digest every nuance of his sprawling narrative as it happens (although I was there for Kobe and Iverson's entrance, I was a touch young to really grasp the meaning).

"He will bring them death, and they will love him for it."
I don't want to get into what this means for free agency too much, but those catty comments in the post-game press conference—"I spoil a lot of people with my play. When you have a bad game here or there, you've had three bad games in a seven-year career, then it's easy to point that out."—are really helping his bid for league supervillain if he does decide to go to the Knicks.

"Ultimately, we're all dead men. Sadly, we cannot choose how, but what we can decide is how we meet that end, in order that we are remembered as men."
A win in game six does not wash this performance away. The only mouthwash for this is a championship.

1 comment:

  1. "He sleeps so well because he is loved."

    Brilliant. A picture is worth a million words with Lebron.


    Was the handwriting on the walls? Was he distracted? Was he injured?

    Perhaps the best question to ask: does he even deserve this scrutiny? Before building a global empire you need a foundation of success. This writer follows the Bulls and hopes James ends up in New York. Why? It’s simple: that is where he belongs and it would be best for the game.

    We knighted the King in diapers. We told him he could do no wrong. We allowed him to storm off the court without offering congratulations to the Orlando Magic because he cared too much. We laughed at his jokes on late night television and we watched him flourish in Nike ads. I am not going to sit here and tell you Lebron was flanked by Pippen and Gasol for the last 7 years, but I will tell you he is a LOSER. I am sick of the media making excuses for the King. His rule has been factious and it’s now over in the ugliest city in America.

    Rajon Rondo – congratulations. You have taken over a city and I hope you enjoy losing to the Magic or the dynasty I proclaimed last year (Lakers). Kevin Garnett was a proven loser then he grabbed a clover and started winning. The pasture is greener on the other side of the fence Lebron, I just don’t think you are ready.

    For those who told me Lebron over Kobe….shame on you. Kobe has the track record… James just has a bitter beer face and the biggest summer of his life ahead.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis