Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Hurt Me Soul, For Real


I was serious when I said I worried that Carlos Boozer's injury could be related to a domestic dispute. I am more serious when I tell you that this post on TrueHoop about athletes and domestic violence is a must-read. Reader Mike Stephenson gets straight to the point: athletes, no matter how wealthy or famous, must be treated like normal people when it comes to this issue. That means that they must be held accountable, but that we must also look at the issues behind their horrible actions and have an open discussion about how to stop these kinds of things from happening. This is bigger than the game, and it is essential that when confronted with articles about athletes as aggressors or victims of domestic abuse, we remember that it is real life. Very real life.

2 comments:

ShareThis